Why You Should Plan Your PR Pathway in University

Some students come to Australia and they like living here so much that they decide to live here and apply for Permanent Residence Visa after completion of their course. When choosing a course it is always important to think about it’s prospects and chances of getting a permanent visa. Every year tens of thousands of students from across the globe choose Australia as their destination for further study. Whilst many return to their country of origin at the completion of their study others decide that they would like to continue to live in Australia. But before being able to call Australia home each student must successfully apply for PR.

There are a number of pathways available to international students. Which one is right for you will be determined by a number of factors such as the qualification you have obtained, your English language ability, employment history and various other requirements.

  1. A pathway that most people are still relatively unaware of is the fact that getting a student visa in regional area will help with getting a 3 years of Temporary residence as a pathway to PR. Those who have completed their Australian Study Requirement of two years in a regional area are eligible for an additional five points. Those who have lived in a specified regional area for at least two years and have worked full time in that area for a total period of 12 months in a specified regional area of Australia are eligible for a different visa type — the Skilled Regional Visa (Subclass 887). After studying in a regional area, you can avail the benefit of staying back on a work visa for 3 years, instead of 2 years as compared to cities in other parts of Australia.

  2. General Skilled Migration Skilled migration is a program of permanent visas based on your skills and work experience which does not require an employer to sponsor you. There are a number of requirements which must be satisfied such as skill and English language requirements as well as a points test. Points for skilled migration are based on factors such as your age, English ability, employment and study history. In some cases you must obtain state government nomination to meet the requirements or to add points to your application.

  3. Employer Sponsored Visas An alternate visa pathway could be via employer sponsored visas. Sometimes where an applicant cannot meet skilled migration requirements the next best option is employer sponsorship because the requirements are different to skilled migration, and sometimes easier to meet. The employer sponsored pathway often involves a process of obtaining a temporary visa initially (subclass 482), then working towards a permanent visa after having worked in Australia for at least 3 years for your sponsoring employer. This is not always required – in some cases you could apply directly for permanent residence (186 visa), but often the employer prefers the TSS 482 visa transitional pathway.

  4. Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (Subclass 187) This visa allows living and working as a permanent resident, but only in the regional Australia. It is also applied in under any of the three categories- Direct Entry Stream, Temporary Residency Transition Stream and the Agreement Stream.

We are delighted to offer you a free VISA/PR video or phone consultation with our experienced Immigration Director (MARN: 1464159). Book your appointment now, using this link: https://calendly.com/redbeardtalent/free-visa-consultation?back=1&month=2020-06

13 views0 comments

See What We're Up To